Rectangle Backyard Ideas Inspiration
Table of Contents 
- Rectangle Backyard Ideas
- Pros & Cons
- Case Studies
- Mistakes People Make
- Best Practices For Rectangle Backyards
Rectangle Backyard Ideas
Rectangle Backyard Ideas
The possibilities of what you can do with your rectangle backyard are endless. Whether you're looking to add greenery, furniture, or structural features, you can easily and affordably create an outdoor space that's comfortable, welcoming, and visually appealing. Below, we'll explore rectangle backyard ideas, including features, benefits, pros & cons, case studies, questions & answers, mistakes people make, and best practices.
Rectangles are among the most common shapes for backyards. With a rectangular outdoor space, you can easily create different areas for entertainment, relaxation, and even gardening. Common features of rectangle backyard designs include:
- Outdoor dining and lounge areas
- Barbeque nook
- Gardening beds
- Affordable lighting and outdoor speakers
- Paving or pavers
- Water feature such as a fountain or small pond
- Raised planters
- Raised decks
- Pergolas, gazebos or canopies
Rectangle backyards can provide a great way to improve your outdoor space for entertaining, relaxation, and more. Here are some of the key benefits of rectangle backyards:
- Ease of installation and maintenance: As rectangle backyards have straight borders and corners, it's relatively easy to plan and install features, as well as to tend to your garden when needed. In addition, rectangles offer efficient use of materials, as the square shape allows you to maximize whatever space you have.
- Flexibility: The rectangular shape of your backyard also provides a lot of flexibility when it comes to how you use the space. For instance, you can section off different areas for different uses, such as entertaining, relaxation, and/or gardening.
- Visual balance: Rectangle backyards can look well balanced and aesthetically pleasing. This is because the shapes are symmetrical and all sides are of equal length.
Pros & Cons
Like with any backyard shape, there are pros and cons to having a rectangle backyard. Here's a look at the pros and cons of rectangle backyards:
- Symmetrical look
- Efficient with materials
- Can be easily sectioned off
- Easy to install and maintain
- Can limit creativity for irregular spaces
- May require extra features such as pergolas, canopies, or fencing to breakout
- Affected by wind direction more than other shapes
To provide further perspective on what a rectangle backyard looks like, let's take a look at some before and after case studies. Take a look:
Case Study 1: Modern Luxury Backyard
This rectangle backyard space was transformed with a sleek and modern design. The project included a patio extension, landscaping, and a wood-burning fire pit.
Case Study 2: Country Rustic Backyard
This backyard is another great example of creating an inviting and spacious outdoor space. The country rustic design includes outdoor furniture, paver patio, and a wooden bridge over a stream.
Q: Are rectangle backyards difficult to design?
A: Not necessarily. Rectangle backyards may require some additional planning due to the shape, but with the right layout and features, you can easily create a visually appealing and functional outdoor space.
Q: Are rectangle backyards expensive?
A: The cost of rectangle backyards will depend on the size and design you choose. Consider the materials for the deck, patio, and pavers, as well as any structural features such as fencing or pergolas. However, rectangle backyards are generally more cost-effective than irregularly shaped backyards.
Q: How do I choose the right furniture for my rectangular backyard?
A: The best way to choose furniture for your rectangle backyard is to firstly consider the shape and size of your outdoor space. It may also be a good idea to consult a professional to get an idea of what furniture and features may work best for your particular area.
Mistakes People Make
When it comes to creating a great outdoor space with a rectangle backyard, many people make the same mistakes. These include:
- Not accounting for the furniture size: Don't forget that furniture sizes need to match the size of the area it's going in. Consider how much space you have to work with and choose furniture accordingly. Bigger isn't always better.
- Not paying attention to wind direction: It's important to pay attention to your local wind patterns when it comes to positioning furniture, structures, and features in your rectangle backyard. Taking wind direction into account will keep your outdoor space comfortable in all conditions.
- Forgetting to think about lighting: No outdoor space is complete without proper lighting. When planning out your rectangle backyard, consider what kind of lighting is best for your spacewhether it's string lights, spotlights, or something else.
- Ignoring potential privacy: Think about how much privacy you need in your rectangle backyard. If you don't want a lot of passersby to be able to see in, consider adding fencing, landscaping, or trellises to help keep your outdoor space hidden from public view.
Best Practices For Rectangle Backyards
In order to make sure you get the most out of your rectangle backyard, here are some of the top best practices to keep in mind:
- Think practically: For instance, it's a good idea to keep furniture away from the edge of patios and walkways, and create paths to give yourself the most possible space.
- Pay attention to the wind: Make sure you keep furniture, plants, and structures away from any potential wind corridors. Placing plants near windy areas can also help to break the wind as well.
- Consider plants for privacy: In order to create a bit of privacy in your rectangle backyard, you can use dense plants such as bamboo or hedges to generate a natural barrier.
- Close the borders: A great way to create an inviting backyard is by using different design elements to close off the outer edges of the rectangle. This can create a sense of containment and coziness.
- Mix and match design styles: Don't be afraid to mix and match different design styles in your rectangle backyard. Whether you opt for a modern, rustic, traditional, or contemporary design, you can combine different elements to create a unique and personalized space.
Rectangle backyards can provide a great way to improve your outdoor space for entertaining, relaxation, and more. By considering features, benefits, pros & cons, case studies, questions & answers, mistakes people make, and best practices, you can create an inviting and comfortable outdoor area for you and your family and friends to enjoy.
With the right planning and design, you can easily and affordably make the most of your rectangle backyard and create a great outdoor space.